Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Woke up to a dead battery today

J

James Bart Dorsey

So, I woke up with a dead battery in my 2014 Fiesta ST this morning. I had to use the manual key in the fob to get into the car.

I'm going to call the dealership, but I have to wait until lunch when my wife comes to the house, so we can try to jump start it.

Any ideas what's going on? I mean, I've never had a battery die this quickly.

OP
C

CivicAssassin

Thread Starter #2
The only thing I can think of would be the switch, or sensor in the door, not shutting off the accessories, when you turn the car off and get out. Unless it's the obvious. Lights left on, interior light left on, etc... I thought there's a timer that would turn those off, after so long, anyway though.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #3
So, I woke up with a dead battery in my 2014 Fiesta ST this morning. I had to use the manual key in the fob to get into the car.

I'm going to call the dealership, but I have to wait until lunch when my wife comes to the house, so we can try to jump start it.

Any ideas what's going on? I mean, I've never had a battery die this quickly.
The battery connector may be loose. Check to see if it is connected properly. Also, you don't need to boost it just give it a little push, hopefully there's a downhill nearby to save you from pushing too long.

OP
J

James Bart Dorsey

Thread Starter #4
The battery connector may be loose. Check to see if it is connected properly. Also, you don't need to boost it just give it a little push, hopefully there's a downhill nearby to save you from pushing too long.
I'm not sure push start will work with the keyless ignition will it? Anyway. Ford roadside assistance gave me a jump start. I drove to work. And then had to get another jump to get to the dealership this after noon. Which is where I'm sitting right now.

Oh and on the way to the dealership I got a "tire pressure monitor failure" message.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
It's not uncommon for batteries to go bad even in newer cars. These cars could have sat on the docks and dealers for many months before you took delivery.

OP
J

James Bart Dorsey

Thread Starter #6
It's not uncommon for batteries to go bad even in newer cars. These cars could have set on the docks and dealers for many months before you took delivery.
Well. Except that the 2014 Fiesta ST just came out....

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #7
I'm not sure push start will work with the keyless ignition will it? Anyway. Ford roadside assistance gave me a jump start. I drove to work. And then had to get another jump to get to the dealership this after noon. Which is where I'm sitting right now.

Oh and on the way to the dealership I got a "tire pressure monitor failure" message.
I think push start should work, i've never tried it though, I would think in-gear clutch down and push start when you have enough speed would/should work.

As for the tire pressure you may have hit a nail or something. I'm sure everything will be okay.

OP
N

NorthernProducer

Thread Starter #8
It may prove otherwise, but like MKVIIST indicated, new cars sometimes come with bad batteries. I can remember a number of new Ford's that were delivered with bad batteries…I'm probably giving my age away here…a 1965 Mustang Convert (Hi-Po, 4 speed), 1976 half ton p/u, and get this…2 1989 Taurus' (mine an SHO & wife's GL). All the batteries died within 24 hours of taking delivery! James…I hope your problem can be fixed with just a battery change. Let us know what the dealer finds went wrong.

OP
S

STooge

Thread Starter #9
Well. Except that the 2014 Fiesta ST just came out....
It still could have been sitting for a good while. Especially the battery itself it was probably made early this year. Possibly even last year. And it is also possible that you just got a faulty battery. Not really anyone's fault, stuff happens. I am a technician and I have seen it, once I was performing a pre delivery inspection on a new car and that battery failed its test. Brand new and failed. Like I said, Stuff happens.