Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Recaros seat wear. Design flaw?

A

alexanderfreenote

I wanted to post something awhile back but didn't have the time to go in to detail so I postponed.

I noticed there may be a design flaw in the recaros. Everything feels and holds great (performance wise) but if you look at the LEFT (drivers side in north america) side of where the fabric meets the plastic on the bottom seat area, you can see the soft fabric grinds against hard plastic, after many ins and outs I think it will eventually rip and expose the interior. What I was thinking is cutting a thin piece of sponge and inserting it between the fabric and plastic. I may do that all around if I can find some time and get the measurements correct to customize it. It shouldn't be too difficult, probably an hours work. Although I wish they made some nice curved plastic instead of a sharp edge right on the seat.

If you guys need some pictures to see exactly what I'm talking about I'll do that soon. Otherwise, what do you think?

OP
R

rweidman

Thread Starter #2
Same flaw in my SES. Leather seat bottom cracked along that line and to be replaced after about 25,000 miles, Same situation in my '13 Focus and those leather seats. Ford did not see that coming.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #3
You mean like where the height adjustment lever is?? That plastic at the top where it meets the seats ??

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #4
Yes. Right on top of the lever. Exactly where the sharp plastic makes contact with the soft fabric below the leather stitch line. Also, the leather may eventually crack and tear too as I already see a little wear there, but nothing we can do there except use leather treatment lotion.

OP
R

rodmoe

Thread Starter #5
I'll have to watch this area now .. Did a quick and dirty look see and it looked ok for now but I see what you are saying ..

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #6
i dont know how you guys jump in and out of the recaros but for me it's a different motion than the regular seats i had in the '11 SE. mine still looks very good and new but i can notice a slight wear (i'm picky) with only 3000km on it. so imagine after 30000km.

i'll take some pics in the daylight and hopefully it will come out nice for you all to notice. also i think we had a fiesta movement guy who posted here who said his seats were great, if you are around, please post a pic of the specific area i am referring to to compare wear. thanks!

OP
S

Sekred

Thread Starter #7
I'll be checking out my seats today, thanks for the heads up.

OP
S

stuntdoogie

Thread Starter #8
Theres no excuse whatsoever for 2k Recaros to have flaws none!!!

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #9
Theres no excuse whatsoever for 2k Recaros to have flaws none!!!
Here's the leather portion, the wear should look whitish:

Here's the soft fabric portion as I'm pulling it up to expose the inside, difficult to see with a picture (also whitish grayish colour) but it's there:

I think what's happening is the leather and fabric sandwich the SHARP hard plastic and eventually will tear imo. Also I think the damage is occurring only when jumping in and out of the seat because there is pressure applied. I jump in and out of my seat about 10 to 20 times a day, so it adds up quick.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #10
I'm going to cut a piece of sponge and put it between the hard plastic and fabric for some cushioning.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #11
Actually, thinking about it for a moment, I don't think it's the Recaros that's the problem, it's the Ford design in holding the seats in. The plastic bottom base frame that is identical on all fiestas. Ford should have changed the base for the Recaros option.

on my old 11 fiesta the base looks identical.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #13
I don't mean to worry you but just to send out a heads up to all Recaro owners to watch that area and if need be cushion it since Ford will probably not cover that in our warranty and if they do, most of us will be well past the 60,000KM mark before it rips. When I go in for my first oil change this weekend, I will mention it to them and ask their opinion, although it will probably be worthless, I want them to put it on record as an issue, and if we all do it, we may get a recall or unlimited KM warranty for first owner, but I doubt it since it isn't a safety issue and only cosmetic, too much money to redesign it now, but maybe the 2015 FiST would be better.

OP
S

STooge

Thread Starter #14
That is all a great point. I am a technician (not for Ford unfortunately) and we get concerns like this a lot. We almost ALWAYS end up doing something for the customer. My idea for you alex would be some tape (i use a kind of fabric tape similar to vinyl/electric tape) or felt strips. I use both often on interiors for noises and padding. Its easy to conceal and its black. A small strip of that on the inner side of the plastic may be enough to keep the hard plastic from rubbing on the fabric.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #15
thanks stooge.. i'll have a look at that. i'm still leaning towards a sponge since i think the tape wouldn't provide any cushioning. i'll probably insert the sponge today or tomorrow and let you guys know how it works and take a couple of pics for you all. i'm also debadging this weekend.

OP
A

alexanderfreenote

Thread Starter #17
OK here is the sponge I inserted. Looks ok for now, I may have to go a bit thicker for extra cushioning but this should work well for now.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
OK here is the sponge I inserted. Looks ok for now, I may have to go a bit thicker for extra cushioning but this should work well for now.
Man that sucks that we may all resort to this. I'm looking to see if any place sells seat covers that only cover the butt rest that will fit on our cars.

OP
S

STooge

Thread Starter #20
good idea at least that part we sit on, not everyone will see it.