Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Extreme loss of power after 25 min of driving

I'm having an issue I can't seem to figure out. After driving for approx 25 min, the car loses all power. I step on the gas and it barely moves. the only thing I can do is let it sit for several hours (or overnight) then i can drive normally again (for another 25 min or so). It seems that after the car cools down, it drives ok. the car is not overheating and the clutch was replaced less than 1 yr ago. I've checked for loose or missing vacuum hoses but found nothing. i recently replaced the PCV valve and rubber elbow hose connected to it because I have a check engine light with a code that pointed to the PCV valve (can't remember the code) but that made no difference. I do have a pretty good oil leak from the valve cover that i will be taking care of after work today, but i'm not sure if that has anything to do with the extreme power loss.

2001 Focus ZX3 ZTech engine

thanks in advance for any advice.

You should have it scanned again to see what engine faults are still open.

I would try taking a look at the fuel pump or o2 sensors. When your engine gets hot it goes into closed-loop, if the sensor is not working right then ECU is not going the correct information to pass on the proper A/F ratio to the engine.

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
i'm a little confused... are they both the same? i'm looking to order them online.... the upstream and downstream look exactly the same. Does anyone know the correct part numbers?

i'm a little confused... are they both the same? i'm looking to order them online.... the upstream and downstream look exactly the same. Does anyone know the correct part numbers?
The wire is slightly longer on one. Technically you can buy two downstream if you want, you'll just have excess wire on one.

Part Number: 15717
Warranty: 1 YR
Application: Up-stream sensor (located before catalytic converter)

Part Number: 15719
Warranty: 1 YR
Application: Down-stream sensor (located after catalytic converter)

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Keep us updated [MENTION=279]cadman33619[/MENTION]