Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

New member with question regarding all-season tires

Redwind

City
Princeton, NJ, USA
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Focus 2017 Titanium
Hi, new member here with a 2017 Focus Titanium. The car is originally registered in Canada although I now run in the US, imported 2021. It's now time to replace the all-season tires which were fitted to the car when I bought it in 2020. I have had no issues at all with the Continental ContiProContact tires which I suppose is a good recommendation (215/50R17). I had no issues during winter snow, and for summer I thought the road holding was good also. Locally here in the US, I have been told that the Continentals are on back-order so the options are from GoodYear, Dunlop and Hankook. Are there all-season tires from those brands which forum members have experience with and can recommend?

Previous to the Focus, I was running around with a few Mazda Miatas and there were some brand/tires in particular which forum members (Miata.net for example) considered good options for either summer or winter.

Just looking for some advise/recommendations from Forum members on what are considered as recommended all-seasons

Kennedy

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

All Season? Well, I currently am using the Hankook brand and as time (and $$$) permit - I'm going towards a different brand of tire - looking into Cooper line for the upgrade - Bridgestone might be a close second.
  • really, this settles into a "gosh, so - do I go for Gummy Gum-Shoe material" that's only good for making small erasers when I leave to go somewhere in a bit of a hurry, or go for the "Hard as Rocks tires" and jar my head and my passengers' bones into fertilizer for sprinkling on Grandmas' Roses?
  • Right now, it looks like (IMO) economics are going to be playing a major role in the choices still available from local suppliers (which I support Buy Locally)
So since the tread designs and traction effects go hand-in-hand - it's a hard choice to simply offer - "try this" for as my experience has been in where I live as part of the rust belt - the better tires are the big-balloon ones that keep you out - or at least "bounce" you out of a pothole so you and your vehicle can live to see another day.

I'm my own efforts, I find the Fiesta "Standard Placard" Recommended size WIDTH to be a bit too large - but if you are using a alloy-metal wheel rim of 16" 7"Width or larger - remember there is less distance between you and that hazard - being the rubber and the more expen$ive rim to strike and make contact with it - make the survivability of such matters less likely - they are good strong cars, but they are not tanks...you mention 17" Rim so that already puts you in a 50% sidewall - and at 215 - even that is putting you into a wider - more scrub and wear - width than a 185/70R15 6.0" width with an offset of +41mm - so if you are using 17 and 215 - you're at least 7" wide rim and offset provided is only so much protection and load bearing - so you'll encounter issues with steering if you decide to go WIDER - you get a lot more friction and even more loss in gas mileage if that is what you're trying to avoid - or just the extra width and the steering scrub itself adds to the cost of this too.

Now you may know why Hankook tires and the Hardness they have - and the Continental brand ones you have been using is why you have had them for as long as you have.

Then too - I am also looking into 2 sets of tires for winter/summer with different rim sizes for comfort and a few more mm of protection from road hazards like Potholes - they can swallow cars the size of a Chevy Metro - and if current budgetary constraints from the State continue NOT to be used to fix our roads, are still in effect - then those same 'oles may enlarge to take on Fiestas and an Occasional Focus...

1650590963615.png

It's the Semi's falling into a Sinkhole that makes you glad to be living where you are...