Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Power steering pump

City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
The power steering pump on my 2011 2liter Focus leaks from the hard line going into the bottom of the pump. When engine is running, foamy power steering fluid also comes gushing out of the fill cap. I cannot find a power steering pressure control switch anywhere. The screwdriver point to the hard line that is leaking.
Any help, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. 0A1F46E5-1A99-4BA5-B289-B3E44C8FE72B.jpeg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Can't see a lot of detail, but what I can see...

The pulley for that pump is wet, so that might indicate the shaft seal is what is the true leak - it would also explain the foaming effects - cavitation and pulling in of air from around the seal moving against the impeller. That is also part of this problem with trying to find the regulation of it - that is integrated into the pump. (At least I have not been able to find such setting adjustments anywhere myself - usually let the steering wheel and the pressure on both sides, in helping it to equalize and find it's "center")

On the uptake side, that vacuum can also explain the foaming...

Do you, or can you, even locate a pressure switch on the housing or the rack?

I've had one develop a whistle like a teapot when the steering wheel is centered - then changes the tone and even disappears when you torque the wheel. Replacing the pump solved the condition.

Not sure of previous repairs to this area, but if the pump itself has been taken out and the lines removed, - seals usually are replaced at the same time - but in many instances - when the lines are kept in place, the pump itself is usually a rebuild so a simple PTFE thread sealant is also used.

Might be easier to replace the pump...lines too.

Last edited:
OP
S
City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Handy Andy. I removed the pulley, hard line and pump yesterday. Ordered a new pump, hoping that will be the fix. The pulley looked wet on the pic but I think that was fluid from being cavitation out of the top of the reservoir. Once pulley was removed, the shaft “seemed” dry. Will keep you posted in a day or two. Thanks, again for the advice.

OP
S
City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #4
HA:
Is there a power steering pressure control switch on 2011 Focus? With the pump off, I don’t see one. I’m willing to replace the switch on the chance that it might be part or all of the problem. Any thoughts on that?

a-kitano

City
niš
State
Non-US
Country
Serbia
What I Drive
Ford Focus 2011
No need to replace pump if you have only leaking problem. Problem is on seal inside pipe connector. Only replace hose connector on pump. You can order that part in your local Ford dealer. Old connector you must cut lengtwise (I show on picture with red paint) but also you must be extra care with high pressure pipe to avoid damage. Cutting is necessary because of the metal pipe holder inside connector.... If you have a hard steering wheel and pump is noisy you probably need new pump.
thumbnail_IMG_20230131_154126.jpg Sry for my english!

Last edited:
OP
S
City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #6
OK, got the new pump installed. No leaks now. Started the engine and rotated the wheels. There is a lot of foamy air bubbles coming to the surface of the fluid reservoir. The wheels turn as normal. Any thoughts on the foamy bubbles?????

OP
S
City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #7
Repeatedly started and stopped the engine. Rotated the wheels while engine is running. Turn engine off and let the foam/bubbles settle down. Fluid level remains correct. Foam “seems” to be less and less.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Keep an eye on the rack itself - don't just look for drips - but look for "spray" - where the oil sprays out hitting against the firewall and casting "shade" on pavement in a conical spray pattern.

Else the foaming - if it is getting less and less - just means burping.

Why I suggested the pump replacement is from the age of the unit and the mileage - it's a 2011 so the 10-year decade of use is there and your sig shows you're in AZ so that also means heat - that can thin the fluid too easily and the defoaming agent used on the OEM fluid might not work as effectively when age and miles have taken their toll.

Glad to know it was easier for you to rebuild than to fully replace.
But then if you're out in the desert 4-wheeling with it [driving] all bets are off.

But the hose too, you'll need to make sure the position of the hoses is correct to the OEM position. Part of the foaming problem is in the lack of rise (slope to the pump) to burp the pipes to clear them of the pockets. The pump just recirculates the air back into and it then displaces the oil with more foaming until the pipe can run clear again.

Sounds like you've got this!

Thanks to @a-kitano for the help!

OP
S
City
Apache Junction
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #9
All is good since I installed a new pump. Foaming has subsided, fluid level remains constant and the vehicle steers as normal. Thanks for all the advice from you guys, it is much appreciated.