Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Really 10,000 miles?

dn4192

What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
I was reviewing through the manual and it says oil changes at 10,000 miles which seems awfully high to me. Even with the advances in oil and engine technology that seems awfully long to wait.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I agree with you! I change the oil on my Fiesta's at 5 thousand mile intervals.And decent filters are cheap. A rebuilt engine or more likely sooner needing cam phaser replacement are way more expensive. If the 1.6 had an oil capacity of 6 quarts, than I would say yes, 10 k no problem. But stay away from bargain brand oils! Walmart sells the good stuff like Castrol syntec titanium and Penzoil platinum or even Motocraft semi synthetic oil for very reasonable prices. I also found out that ican get a pretty good deal on Motocraft oil filters from the Ford dealership, if I buy a case of 12. A fairly intensive degree of maintenance is not really very expensive, if you plan for it and buy accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
D

dn4192

What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I agree with you! I change the oil on my Fiesta's at 5 thousand mile intervals.And decent filters are cheap. A rebuilt engine or more likely sooner needing cam phaser replacement are way more expensive. If the 1.6 had an oil capacity of 6 quarts, than I would say yes, 10 k no problem. But stay away from bargain brand oils! Walmart sells the good stuff like Castrol syntec titanium and Penzoil platinum or even Motocraft semi synthetic oil for very reasonable prices. I also found out that ican get a pretty good deal on Motocraft oil filters from the Ford dealership, if I buy a case of 12. A fairly intensive degree of maintenance is not really very expensive, if you plan for it and buy accordingly.
The dealership offers $25 oil change so I'll probably just take it there. While under warranty I hope any and all service to be done by then just to make sure there is no warranty issues. With the poor history on the transmission I think I will change that fluid a little more often also.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That's a good overall plan. The DPS6 transaxle issues don't involve the fluid. It's a problem with the learning process of the controllers. In the early (2011 thru 2013) there was some issues with material specs for some seals and clutch disc materials. The clutch disc materials change might have been a decision to toughen up the causal parts in reaction to their high failure rates. I feel that the many upgraded components and software changes have made the later versions of the DPS6 transaxle a much better thing than what left the factory in 2011. As a side note, the differential oil is pretty expensive per quart. So, you don't want to go there.

OP
D

dn4192

What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
That's a good overall plan. The DPS6 transaxle issues don't involve the fluid. It's a problem with the learning process of the controllers. In the early (2011 thru 2013) there was some issues with material specs for some seals and clutch disc materials. The clutch disc materials change might have been a decision to toughen up the causal parts in reaction to their high failure rates. I feel that the many upgraded components and software changes have made the later versions of the DPS6 transaxle a much better thing than what left the factory in 2011. As a side note, the differential oil is pretty expensive per quart. So, you don't want to go there.
How often does the differential oil need to be changed out?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have no idea. The owner manual would tell you. I bought a slightly damaged 2011 Fiesta hatchback with DPS6 transaxle that had been rebuilt by Ford in late 2015.im not going to do anything . It works fine at this point. The differential oil is not an issue, unless it starts leaking out.