Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Slight hot smell from brakes.

City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Hi everyone. Wondering if this is normal. After a 20 minute drive I went around my tyres to check for a stone as I could hear one rolling around.
I found the potential culprit, but when I went to rescue it, I caught a whiff of my brakes. They smelt kinda hot. It wasn't bad bad. Just if I was close enough to smell them. I can't smell them in the car or when stopped with the window down etc. I've not noticed anything Awry.
I only had the pads replaced replaced at the end of february before I bought it and the inspection also told me the disks were fairly new.

Is it normal for them to smell slightly? I'm pregnant so my nose is very very accute!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
This smell is from the brake material - so the media that is what those pads are, is what gets used up - the metal it rubs against for the friction to stop - doesn't wear as much.

But that may vary, highway miles the pads tend to "glaze" from the polishing they do to the rotor and drum.

Small particles, glass fragments bits of concrete dust, small stones can embed into the media and rub themselves to bits forming a groove and heat in the metal rotor doing so.

Also remember, the media, even if it's ceramic, will "shed" - so the dust rests on everything. So, when the water, dew or humidity creep up - that dust re-dries out - which activates that "smell" - so if you have not washed off your brakes/car in a while this smell gets stronger until the next wash.

Media - referring to Standard brakes, Semimetal (semi metallic) onto Ceramic medias' the Standard brake media makes the most smell - as you also need to be aware of asbestos - being they consider it cancer causing - is prevalent in any of the medias.

So, the smell is there, small amounts will slough off both the pads and the rotors - and deposit anywhere - so some is normal - every time you hit the brakes even in a gentle stop and you smell it - that is not.

OP
P
City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Thread Starter #3
This smell is from the brake material - so the media that is what those pads are, is what gets used up - the metal it rubs against for the friction to stop - doesn't wear as much.

But that may vary, highway miles the pads tend to "glaze" from the polishing they do to the rotor and drum.

Small particles, glass fragments bits of concrete dust, small stones can embed into the media and rub themselves to bits forming a groove and heat in the metal rotor doing so.

Also remember, the media, even if it's ceramic, will "shed" - so the dust rests on everything. So, when the water, dew or humidity creep up - that dust re-dries out - which activates that "smell" - so if you have not washed off your brakes/car in a while this smell gets stronger until the next wash.

Media - referring to Standard brakes, Semimetal (semi metallic) onto Ceramic medias' the Standard brake media makes the most smell - as you also need to be aware of asbestos - being they consider it cancer causing - is prevalent in any of the medias.

So, the smell is there, small amounts will slough off both the pads and the rotors - and deposit anywhere - so some is normal - every time you hit the brakes even in a gentle stop and you smell it - that is not.
Hello again!
Thanks so much. Yeah I could only smell it when my face was up against them practically, rescuing a lodged stone. Can't smell it at all while driving.
Like I say, though, no normal person would probably smell it even then, I've just got a pregnancy nose!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Like I say, though, no normal person would probably smell it even then, I've just got a pregnancy nose!
Well, that's a little more information than we need, but we welcome you, and your nose - to the forums!

No, in all seriousness, you are fortunate to have a sense of smell in which you can decipher the various events the engine may have sprung a leak on, or worse, in the car ahead of you...

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
No, in all seriousness, you are fortunate to have a sense of smell in which you can decipher the various events the engine may have sprung a leak on, or worse, in the car ahead of you...
I'd agree that having a good sense of smell is both a blessing and a minor curse. Back when I was in the Navy, stationed on an aircraft carrier, I could tell where various coworkers and friends were on the ship, by smelling the remaining fragrance from shampoo, cologne/aftershave, or perfume. This was due to the fact that I was also a firefighter at the time and knew the airflow patterns.

These days, I smell better than I hear, but I am always saying "that car needs some transmission fluid" or "that car needs some power steering fluid" or simply "here comes a Ford truck" because of the PS noise. I'm sniffing the air all the time and my better half always says "what's wrong?" to my detective nose. I'm still getting used to the very few smells of the Fiesta, and now that I fixed the leaky coolant tank, I have no more coolant smell (that was really bothering me!)

Anyway, to the OP, welcome to the forum and it's good to hear both the stone were found and your brake smell is not to be alarmed by. One thing I have noticed with my 2016 SE is that the pads get caked in their holders by brake dust and can benefit from a good cleaning and scrubbing with a wire brush. I think at the very least, a really good spray-down with some brake cleaner (if available to you) on the top and bottom of the pads, is something which will help prevent the pads from sticking.

Phil Forrest