Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Switch for fog lights

Iconagaurd

City
Portland
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
I have an SE fiesta and i got some fog lights for it and installed them easily since there was already wiring for it in the car but my light switch doesn't have a pull to turn on fog lights. how can i get one of these switches because i cant really find them online and auto parts store says they're all out of stock
i have this
1673298406364.png
but i need something like this
1673298462620.png

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You are going to need the headlamp switch for the fog lamp (from the dealership parts department)as well as paying the dealership service department to dive into the “as built” menu and activate the circuit.
The other way is to ignore the O.E. Connections and just wire it as you would have done in the past. The main thing to remember is avoid running wires near the airbag modules. I found that mounting a lighted switch just above the hood release is not inconvenient and keeps everything away from the knee bag area.

Last edited:
OP
I
City
Portland
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
You are going to need the headlamp switch for the fog lamp (from the dealership parts department)as well as paying the dealership service department to dive into the “as built” menu and activate the circuit.
The other way is to ignore the O.E. Connections and just wire it as you would have done in the past. The main thing to remember is avoid running wires near the airbag modules. I found that mounting a lighted switch just above the hood release is not inconvenient and keeps everything away from the knee bag area.
even if I get the correct light switch I still have to have a dealer activate it? all the wiring is there including fuses in the fuse box. there's no way i'll have a dealer touch my car and charge a ton of money.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The wiring is one thing, the connections are another.

A relay is needed.

Amazon and eBay offer Fog light kits that can be installed - whether you have the correct switch or not.

The Body Control Module is where the Fog lights operate thru - you can bypass, but it might fight you. Why? You lose protection of auto turn off and auto on functions if you by-pass the BCM - it retrieves power thru the BCM for the relay coil and then uses ground from your Fog light switch - heavy lamp loads power sources are routed to the Relay at the fuse block in the engine compartment - so if the wiring is there, you're good, if not, then presume you'll have to route manually.

Headlight lamp relays are specific for each headlamp so the fog light themselves, to be switched, uses a Ground wire to ground the relay to turn on those fogs - which is powered by and thru a separate fuse - that (ground) wire needs to exist in the switches connector wiring order to make the relay work thru that switch.

Else the kits provide a separate switch you activate (throw a switch) separately.

Ford Part is
D2BZ-11654-A
Motorcraft Cross references is SW7024
If there is any in stock.

1687093911443.png
1687094070868.png

The Body Control Module powers the relay, by acting as the ground point for the coil of the relay.
IN the upper Graphic - the Fog light selection thru the switch - it grounded at the switch - which then leads back to the BCM - which in the bottom graphic, has a separate connection to the FOG Light relay. Which when the ignition is on, the Fog lights come on - and the system shuts it down once the ignition is off and the key is removed. So you know - that BCM controls many of the electrical (if not all) to save the vehicles battery.

So if you buy the switch and can't seem to get the Fog lights to work - make sure you have fuses for it installed, and it's relay, and if necessary, you can then install the fog lights but mount a switch to GROUND instead of the Body Control Module doing it for you.

This is where the "issue of the Dealerships" comes in. IF the BCM can work the fog lights because it's wired to the fuseblock, then installing it's relay is simple enough for anyone to do and the switch knob can be replaced too. To have the dealership do it, requires a considerable amount of interior work disassembly and reassembly and the actual verify and install of the wiring to the BCM from the Light switch and the inspection and rework of the BCM itself - to make that Fog light switch wire contact - GROUND at the BCM.

IF not, then the main problem you may have is that cost of them doing it, or the inconveniences of you having to do it yourself.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would like to post a thread on driving/ fog lamp install on the Fiesta. But the Fiesta has zero hard points on the front to securely attach a pair of the type of lights that would be worth the effort.
I have been working on a frame mounted light bar that is an involved project all it’s own.
So far, it has morphed into three different mounting positions for a pair of driving lights. Not three lights per side. But, just three versions of light mounts depending upon the size and type of lamp and where they are best placed.
At this point, I have completed two of the three different mounting brackets. The base mounting bracket for all three is the same frame mounted,rock solid piece of steel plate. Which also provides a great place to ground the lamps.

Last edited: