Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Cigarette lighter port will only when the key is on ignition not on start.

Umair2004

City
Swansea
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
Hello guys I hope someone can help me with my very strange problem.
In my car the cigarette lighter port only charges my phone when the key is in the ignition and switched on without starting the car. When the car is on start, my iphone still says its charging but the battery percentage wont go up. I have a 2014 Ford fiesta 1.0 ecoboost.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Be careful with this...

You have an older 2014 Fiesta - using technology and it's support from that timeframe...

This is 2023 - iPhones have evolved several generations since then...

So have their battery and it's needs...

You have a standard 2A (maybe) or 1.5A (more likely) USB port rated draw from the SYNC unit and it's power needs.

So if you pull too much power, that phone will just sit there and barely stay alive due to the maximum current draw that SYNC unit can supply is limited.

You can even Damage the SYNC unit's USB port from excessive charge demand - it can burn out the cable (that is a shielded special cable) for USB sticks and Jump Drives (less than 2A - or SSD's) - not really meant for a high-charge demand (or rate) charging system for phones.

Might want to read the iPhones owners manual on charge rates and requirements...

To help - mA is 1/1,000th of an Amp - if your charger for your phone can supply (or output rate of) is above 2,000mA (2A) then Sync can not be used to charge your phone you'll have to use a separate lighter socket adapter rated for it.