Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta 2012 automatic - No smiles in the Land of Smiles

Nick S

City
Bangkok
State
Non-US
Country
Thailand
What I Drive
2012 Fiesta
Hello Everyone - I have just joined and had a look through some of the topics already discussed. The nearest I found to the issue my wife is having with her car is this discussion which didn't seem to progress too far: https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/ford-fiesta-2012-intermittant-start.9261/

The car we have also has intermittent starting issues. Sometimes it starts just fine, other times it doesn't want to respond at all and other times it makes a very strange series of sounds (electrical?) and doesn't work. Give it a rest (return in 15-30 minutes) and it will start. An even more alarming trait it has developed is that it sometimes refuses to recognize any input from the gas peddle (accelerator for us Brits!) and will not move forwards. Quite alarming if out on the road and have to coast to the side in such a situation. I have read all the issues concerning the transmission issues with Fiesta's in the past, so could this be the reason for the latter? I am not mechanically minded so I hope someone will be able to help a layperson. It would be nice to fix the issue(s) and hand the car over to one of the grandchildren to use as their first car rather than selling it (if possible!) to get rid of the problem vehicle.

Many thanks to econoboxrocks for the warm welcome and for stating "Doesn't hurt to ask. Welcome to the forum!".

Kind regards - Nick

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

Hard starting - like slow cranking usually means battery.

But when the system does not start when you turn the key - or push button - this may mean a trip to the service department.

Before you do that though, some simple things can be done prior to bringing it in to help see if the starting issue is electrical connectors or your transmission is unable to shift into park or neutral to enable the starter to start the engine.

This might help introduce you to that type of condition
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/welcome-newcomers-please-introduce-yourself.850/post-23731

Another one that when you might not have had to do this, this assembly is part of the PARK selector and can interfere with your ability to fully engage the shifter into park - even though it seems to be in park - is it in park?

https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/2014-fiesta-will-not-start-shift-out-of-park.8022/post-18823

The above two threads don't address the problems with failed starter relays - but the above are simple directions - the rest require a closer inspection of your battery, the cables, their connections to the battery as well as the ground connections.

The inability to start may be from many sources - but the above threads also are looking at TCM problems which if your battery is weak, or is not able to push enough power from the good parts of the Starter, Alternator - Battery posts - into those terminals at the battery junction box - into the cables that route to the TCM or the fuse block due to corroded connections - the battery may be fine, the wiring from it to the sub-systems might not be.

A better graphic of it is here...
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/2012-fiesta-issues.9652/post-27307

OP
N

Nick S

City
Bangkok
State
Non-US
Country
Thailand
What I Drive
2012 Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to reply Handy Andy! Much appreciated. The battery is new and we have recently had two different mechanics look at the car with a total of just over US$ 800 being spent to replace certain parts. Yet the problem persists. Ford themselves quoted around US$ 2,700 to try and resolve the issue. Hence I don't think it is anything simple.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wow, did not know that you had several people and places look at this condition.

Then Occam's Razor is coming into play here.

The $2,700 estimate is replacement of the transmission which sounds about right so review the vehicles condition, the mileage, your own personal appeal for the vehicle and understand the world does move on from the "timestamp" left when these cars were built.

As with any car, phone or PC - technology at the time is already outdated, so is the ability to keep it alive and relevant is also more difficult as time progresses.

Hey? You think this is difficult for you? It's hard to tell others things which we've had to come to accept in the way Automakers do things. The rest of us as also own vehicles with similar fates...