Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

02 focus svt possible trans issue?

City
Decorah
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2002 Ford focus svt
Hi everyone! New here. I recently bought an 02 focus and notice a vibration in the front a couple days ago. It occurs from 2nd through 6th gear as I accelerate but goes away while coasting. Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You might need a helper to do this, but to verify you have to do this check, while the vehicle sits on the ground, or at least use ramps no jacks.

But also too, drive the vehicle to an open parking lot so the helper can stand outside the car and listen to the roll of the tires and notice, listen for, grinds, clicks or groans while you do figure eights at low speed

You're seeing if the CV joints are worn, so the suspension needs to be placed as if it's on the ground so you can create the right conditions.

One you have it raised, so you can reach the CV joint, look at the rubber boot and also the long rod that goes from the transmission to the hub - where the wheel sits, try to lift up, pull down and slide it towards the transmission and towards the wheel. Note the freeplay and any slop or loose movements - this is the indication of wear on the CV axle, and if really loose you'll need to replace it.

IF you can't seem to move the CV joint in any direction - that is a good sign - but you need to go to the next step and raise the wheel - but use a floor jack to lift from the suspension lower ball joint - so the wheel floats - you can then try to lift, turn and rotate the wheel - then check the CV joint to see if it rolls evenly - and also check the lower ball joint to see if it is loose or adding any slop into the mess.

While you watch the CV joint turn while you turn the wheel - turn the steering of the car to one side Left or right CAREFULLY so it doesn't fall off the ramps or torque off the floor jack off the ball joint - if you can lift both sides - using the floor jack on the lower ball joints of both side this works the best, either way so you can inspect the "Bend" the CV joint is in - to further evaluate the Axles' condition - if you see the long arm rise and fall and otherwise seems to "lob" as you rotate the wheel/tire this may mean the CV joint is worn or several "teeth" are in excessive play and so the axle will need replacement.

Wheel bearings and Ball joints also add a measure of vibration too - so those areas have to be looked into for wear.