Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2017 Focus SE Trunk keeps popping open while driving

City
Whittier
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Focus SE
Good Morning, I am a new member here hoping to get some help ...i have a 2017 Focus SE, my problem is whenever i take off to drive, the trunk just popps open, i was thinking that something electrical might be going on because whenever i use the keyfob to unlock the door i will depress the lock/unlock button 1 time and it pops the trunk. Has anyone else experienced an Issue like this?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmmm...usually this may be considered an Alignment of Latch to Catch - with the "catch" side not truly seating to the latch - a limit switch otherwise tells you the trunk is open, you're not complaining about that - so the rear latch assembly and that bracket that bolts to the car - both need to align and the catch then surrounds the latch and holds itself in place.

You did not say if you own a sedan or the hatchback - this problem is more with the hatchback types...so we can only guess here

Now, if you see a "note" on the dash telling you the "Trunk Open" message - then that is a position of the limit switch problem - a slight shift in the position of the trunk lid - then the switch loses proper position and sets the message.

So when you do drive away, does the Trunk Open Message appears - and the trunk is not physically shut?
  • Then you have to adjust the catch to latch - make them closer together and so that when they meet - the switch and the catch to latch are firmly set.
The Trunk open message appears, but the trunk stays shut - then that means you have two rubber snubbers that need to be inspected that keep the rattle and vibration and the trunk getting slammed shut doesn't break the taillight lenses from excessive free play in the hinges above making the trunk lid slide along the length of the catch and latch bracket length - it would make a rattle or at least a clunk - so it may be worth a look see. . The level of vibration or shift in load from front to rear can be enough to set off that limit switch and set the message.

Sedan
1694976687706.png
Hatchback
1694977415497.png