Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2014 Focus - fuel-water separator filter?

OldFox

Hi everyone,

I have got a 2014 (2.0 L) Focus which I like. I bought it new and cannot say anything bad about it. Recently was at the service and they said that I need to replace fuel water separator filter... I never replaced it before, and thought that these filters are only on the heavy duty trucks (like F-650, 750) and 18-wheelers... But what the heck would such filter do in my Focus? Fords wants over $200 for the filter, plus I guess some job fee... So I was wondering, is it okay if I leave it as it is? Or I must replace it or something's likely to fail? Or maybe I may go and get a sort of aftermarket filter cheaper and will just try replacing it by myself?

Thanks for any help...

I thought all MK3 Ford Focus had the lifetime fuel filters and should never need replacing since it's built into the tank.

Fuel Water Separator Filter is basically your fuel filter, you can get the part (#FW-726) for about $80-90.

Agree , you can buy the Ford Motorcraft Filter off Ebay for 82.00 which is the same exact Ford Motorcraft Filter Ford Tech would install

If you're not over 100,000 miles yet I dont know that I would worry about it unless you have some power loss or cranking issues

Tom

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
How many miles are on your car?

OP
O

OldFox

Thread Starter #6
Hi folks, thanks for your replies... It's around 150K, and you are right, sometimes it won't start at the first attempt, and I have to try starting it several times...
I just thought that this is a fuel filter, not a separator filter, so that's why I was surprised that when they told me about the separator filter. I also thought that I will go and get an aftermarket one (https://www.carid.com/fuel-filters.html), and then will have the shop do the replacement...
I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS