Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2014 Focus tranny problem

City
Delaware
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Wife: 2014 Focus, Me: 2015 Taurus
Ford did a good job of running out the clock on the transmission problems. I'm sure many of you went through this.
Question: Did anyone get satisfaction on this and if so, how?

Thanks, Joe

City
California City
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus SE
I have a 2014 Focus that had an issue with the tranny at about 80,000 miles. The Ford dealership fixed it under warranty. Then I had the same issue at 120,000 miles. I use this vehicle as a work vehicle, so I put on the mileage fast! Just before I had the second problem I received a recall, or "Customer Satisfaction" issue from Ford about a possible clutch chatter. It said that if I was having a clutch chatter, Ford would replace the clutch at no charge regardless of how many miles, or how many years I've had the vehicle. It also applied to any new owners of the vehicle. Not a bad deal. It did say that the offer would expire on a date six months in the future. I was not having an issue with the clutch at that time, but thought I would wait until the program was about to expire and then tell the dealer that I was having a problem. I thought, "Why not get a new clutch for free?" A month before the date, I did have a problem with the clutch which required a trip to the shop. The dealership confirmed that the tranny needed something called "levers" (?) to fix the shifting problem, but the clutch would be replaced for free. And to make it even better, they said that since they had to take it apart for the clutch anyway, they would only charge me for the "Levers" parts. My total bill was for around $450.00. I now have 134,000 on the vehicle.

I am a die-hard Ford fan, but I am very unhappy with the Focus tranny issues. Other than the transmission, it has been a great vehicle. I've had no other problems with it. I'm still getting around 41 mpg on the highway, and an overall average of 37.5 mpg city and highway. I can't complain about that. I have had a few cosmetic issues, but nothing that I could not take care of myself. It's the great gas mileage that continues to amaze me.

I just this morning discovered a broken air-duct in front of the radiator. I didn't even know there was such a thing under there. I think they were broken when my daughter hit something on the highway. I'll make another post about that in another thread.

OP
J
City
Delaware
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
My wife's Focus has about 65K miles on it. Its already had the clutches replaced 3 times and it needs them again.
We bought the extended warranty just because of this problem and now we're finding out it won't cover the clutch replacement.
We are not happy campers.

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
The whole transmission issue with the focus is a bunch of BS, considering they knew there was an issue and kept selling the cars. On the flip side, I had both of my Fords trannies replaced at no cost ('13 & '15). Fortunately, no issues since and I believe they did step up to at least fix most issues. Sucks that you have had 3 replaced, but I assumed they would extend your coverage after each replacement... maybe not. I do believe they have a but back option though.

OP
J
City
Delaware
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Yeah... It was delay, delay, delay each time the clutches needed to be replaced. It always took weeks to get the parts. They lied after the last replacement saying the part(s) were "New and improved". They were just trying to run out the clock.
And the 100K extra warranty on the tranny control module was a joke because it was obviously a mechanical failure and not the module.
How did you force them to replace the trannies?

City
California City
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus SE
Yeah... It was delay, delay, delay each time the clutches needed to be replaced. It always took weeks to get the parts. They lied after the last replacement saying the part(s) were "New and improved". They were just trying to run out the clock.
And the 100K extra warranty on the tranny control module was a joke because it was obviously a mechanical failure and not the module.
How did you force them to replace the trannies?
They didn't replace the whole tranny. Just the parts. My dealer was really good about the service. I did have to make an appointment because of other work they had previously scheduled. But it was only a few days. I did have a second car to use while mine was in the shop. So it really wasn't a bad experience overall. I wasn't happy about it, but it was repaired quickly. They didn't seem to have any problems getting the part.

City
Como
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus
Hi all. In reading see of the posts above, it sounds like some have received help, my 2014 Focus has been parked in the garage since last August. I’ve lost reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gears with only 57,000 miles. I wrote to Ford per the lemon laws and they stated they couldn’t help me - not enough repairs paid for. My hubby changed the actuators twice with no change. Now I’m waiting for Cap Motors to get back to me. Unfortunately I sold my 2002 Ford Escape with 205K miles on it just weeks before this happened. I’m pulling my hair out with frustration. Any advice?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Hi all. In reading see of the posts above, it sounds like some have received help, my 2014 Focus has been parked in the garage since last August. I’ve lost reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gears with only 57,000 miles. I wrote to Ford per the lemon laws and they stated they couldn’t help me - not enough repairs paid for. My hubby changed the actuators twice with no change. Now I’m waiting for Cap Motors to get back to me. Unfortunately I sold my 2002 Ford Escape with 205K miles on it just weeks before this happened. I’m pulling my hair out with frustration. Any advice?
This is the DCT auto?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST

Speakya1

City
Wildomar
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus SE
I had the same problem. The dealer put in 2 clutches before 120,000 mile and the car always drove cattery even with the new factory clutch. I bought a LUK clutch kit (I bought mine a summit racing) and had it installed (dyno Trans Temecula) and the car drives awesome and is a lot of fun. I now have 192,000 and the car still runs great. I recommend this clutch for anyone having troubles with their dual clutch automatics.

kodpkd

City
Loveland
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 focus
I have the dual clutch on a 2013. The dealer replaced the shifter gizmo and now it works ok. I did find that there is a way to make it shift a bit smoother. If mine starts even a little stutter, I do this. I start at about 4 MPH and floor it and run through the gears, slow down and do it again. I do this 2 or 3 times and seems to fix the stutter.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Sounds like something to help "re-train" the throttle.

Several YT vids show a method that is similar, but you turn the key to ON but don't start the car - you "punch" and releaser the throttle 3-times quickly - then start the car and see if the thing won't get stuck in "ECO Mode" forever.

kodpkd

City
Loveland
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 focus
I'm not sure if it re-trains the throttle/ECU or resurfaces the clutch plates. All I know is, Ford should have never allowed this trans to be put into production. A good example of the idiot executives overruling the professional engineers. This happened to Boeing,,,,, watch the special,,, "Downfall",,, these executives should have gotten a life sentence.