Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

AC Recharge Gone Bad

Dcow72

City
Moscow
State
ID
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
2012 Ford Focus

Hey all somehow I messed up. I was recharging the AC on a 2012 for focus. Located what appeared to be the low pressure AC valve and attached the pressure hose to check pressure. I was holding the lever and accidentally released pressure. Green fluid came spewing out. I stopped and detached and went into the driver's seat. While I was sitting there warning started popping up about the transmission. I quickly shut it off only to not be able to turn it on again. Car won't turn over and electronics won't work either. Suggestions??

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, you don't see GREEN fluid leaking out of an AC unit - unless it is the "Taggant" one used to detect leaks.

How did you know you even found the "AC Valve"?

Ok, we'll need to know a little more, because "Green" can be radiator fluid that you inadvertently released from the TOP of a radiator plug valve used in similar models to "burp" the system back to the main container by the Right side strut. When you pull that it's under pressure and can be very hot. Hope you're ok.

The AC line is a Aluminum metal line and uses a screw on cap to cover what is similar to a Schrader valve for Tires - only bigger.

So the best way is to pull the Battery ground terminal and leave it off to force a reset - while you wash off the stuff off the motor and dry it, then reattach the cable and attempt a restart that way.

Then redo the AC recharge, but this time - remember that the AC unit uses an oil that is suspended in the refrigerant - which may cause issues with too much oil and not enough FREON so it may require a evac (evacuation and removal of old - reclamation) and recharge with fresh oil and FREON.

Until I know more, that's is the best I can do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 First Generation Focus 6