Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Alternator overcharging ongoing issue 1.6 focus.

Angela134

City
Midlands
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Focus 1.6 deisel 58 plate
We have a 58 plate 1.6 Focus. 51,000 miles.

Last year we had the ecu completely fried by a battery dying, at a cost of £1k.

This year we've had a new alternator because an error came up.

Two months later the car is still having power issues. Lights flickering when turn wheel, or when putting window up.
We've taken it back and the garage have found the alternator is over charging at 14.9 instead of 13.8 - 14.4.

When you google over charging alternator, it can lead to boiling of the acid in the battery, which in turn can lead to frying of the ecu, which has happened to us already.

What my question is, is this a common problem with Focus's ?

What wider issue could be causing the alternator to be overcharging, because both the battery and alternator are new.

We're at our wits end, and just want to get it sorted before the ecu is fried again.
Many Thanks

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
I'm no expert on this but did experience it on my Ford Explorer. First off, even though the alternator is new, it doesn't mean it's good. Alternators usually have a built in regulator that should avoid over charging. It could be bad.

Also, you can confirm that the correct battery is installed - this was my ultimate problem. If battery is under powered then the alternator works harder.

Lastly, if all that is good, check your cables/wires. All connections need to have proper contact. This means if they are loose or rusted or corroded, then issues will come up.

A good electrical shop should be able to pin point where the problem is. They have the testers and should be able to determine where the issue lies.