Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Door Latch Trouble

AVrba02

City
Tonawanda
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2008 Focus
So I have a 2008 Focus that was sitting in a field for 4 years. Has a multitude of problems but it was a free car so whatever. Main issue I'm dealing with at the moment is both of my rear door latch mechanisms. The latch moves but won't click into place when the door is shut and thus my door won't stay shut. I've looked into videos but everyone seems to be showing how to fix a stuck latch. I want to be clear, that's not my problem. The door latch moves, but won't click into place when the door hits the pin. Is there any way to fix this issue without getting a whole new set of door latches? Right now the doors are held shut with a ratchet strap but I'm kind of getting sick of my dome lights coming on every time I make a sharp turn lol. Thank you in advance!

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
Not sure if you already read about it, but some older models had an issue with the back door latch. It is not a fixable problem, it is a they need to be replaced problem. Do a search on Ford Focus door latch recall.

City
Tukwila
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 Ford Focus
Good call on the recall search. My '03 had a recall for the rear doors many years ago and we had it taken care of by the dealership for free.
If you can't get it repaired via a recall notice,
spray the mechanism with a lock lubricant such as a graphite spray, to see if an internal part will loosen and spring back into correct position. If it's been sitting for a few years as you said, it may just be gummed up.

City
San Antonio
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Focus Se
So I have a 2008 Focus that was sitting in a field for 4 years. Has a multitude of problems but it was a free car so whatever. Main issue I'm dealing with at the moment is both of my rear door latch mechanisms. The latch moves but won't click into place when the door is shut and thus my door won't stay shut. I've looked into videos but everyone seems to be showing how to fix a stuck latch. I want to be clear, that's not my problem. The door latch moves, but won't click into place when the door hits the pin. Is there any way to fix this issue without getting a whole new set of door latches? Right now the doors are held shut with a ratchet strap but I'm kind of getting sick of my dome lights coming on every time I make a sharp turn lol. Thank you in advance!
Recall on mean. Contact ford motor company or local dealer w/ vin # to see if you qualify.