Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

HELP!!¡!!!

City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Ford focus ses
I have a 2007 Ford Focus SES was working on some things under the car was fixing to hook the battery up and noticed that the the negative ground wire on the battery cable was disconnected trying to find out where it goes. And also same as the positive ground for the battery cable. IMG_20220415_135004.jpg IMG_20220415_134924.jpg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The Area you are pointing to in the TOP photo - is the Transaxle/Transmission and Engine mount (Under the Battery box tray) - there is a bolt there that threads into the Engine from the TRANSAXLE/Transmission - it should be easily spotted by the fact that it would be one of the areas cleanest of corrosion - you just have one CABLE from Engine - to Battery - The Battery to Frame appears to be connected - in the bottom photo - to the vehicle body.

The "positive ground" I think you meant FRAME to Ground - since that is connected (bottom photo) under and behind headlamp.

The cable you are holding in the bottom photo, goes to the Transaxle to Engine bolt that is right by the transaxle to frame mount - towards the engine side - just above the transmission case housing and the bolt I'm referring to - is part of it. It is snaked under the Battery tray to rest by that bolt - in fact if you re-snake that wire back-thru correctly - it should wind up right by the bolt is needs to be connected to.

You may not be done just yet; I would strongly urge you to solder those lugs to the copper in the cable to help reduce problems later - less chance of corrosion ruining your efforts in fixing this "just one last time"

OP
J
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Ford focus ses
Thread Starter #3
I ended up connecting it to the bolt that holds the engine lift bracket on. "You know the one you put a chain threw to hold it up". And now When I turn the key over all the dash lights everything comes on the headlights come on everything’s good so I know it’s not the battery but when I turn the key over it’s complete silence is dead that started doesn’t try to turn or anything

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, are the fuses ok?

Usually when slinging such a large cable like that - it's easy enough to get sparks.

You seem to have the polarity correct, you have lights - but take a look at the starter circuit

Does that wire from the battery - that is BLACK - the wire that arrives to the Fuseblock / Distribution Terminal is Red.
1650848215114.png

I guess we'll need to see what is under that right side front-quarter panel

1650848785594.png

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Another thing to look at, is the DRAW - so you might want to double -recheck the wire in the loom - remember what I asked you to think about earlier.

As you rethread (best word for it) the loom to get the wiring back into the route it once had, that wire lug, at the end of that cable, should rest right by that bolt it needs to get bolted to - it goes to, to establish the ground at the Engine Block for the starter motor to complete the circuit.

In a way it can without it - but it will blow wires trying to do just that - until they are all opened up and you have to rewire all the ground points again.

Especially in the interior grounding point by the seats...Right and Left side fender walls / crash brace / footwell areas too...

OP
J
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Ford focus ses
Thread Starter #6
The wire (black wire) in the picture your talking about goes to the frame. (Res wire) goes to starter circuit. I actually lost my key I just found it but I think it might have something to do with the antitheft lock system

OP
J
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Ford focus ses
Thread Starter #7
Well it wasn't the anti-theft lock. But do you know if I'm facing the car Wich way does the transmission shifter selector is Park all the way to the left or right?