Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

(Please help diag.) NO CRANK, NO START

1SlowEvo9

City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
03 Focus
(PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE) I have searched all over the internet and tried nearly everything.

•2003 Focus SE (Auto) 156k miles. 2.0 Zetec

Car suddenly does not crank. Dash lights light up in on position. Dashes (-----) on the odometer. Red theft light above radio is blinking (1x every 2seconds). Can't pull any codes does not communicate with ECU (Error).
Cluster code menu DTC d262 flashing.

Any other ideas of what to do/look for other than what I have already done listed below?

-Checked all fuses and swapped diodes and swapped relays in engine bay fuse box. (All fuses have continuity)
-Checked all fuses and swapped relays in driver side dash fuse box. (All fuses have continuity)
-Removed ECU and took apart and did not see anything unusual.
-Checked multiple pins at ECU and got voltage.
-Small orange/black ground wire that goes directly from battery ground (-) to the harness in the engine bay is good.
-Two ground wires from the battery to the driver wheel well cleaned and secured.
-Battery is in upper "Good" condition under battery load test.
-Tried starting with secondary key.

Recently I did an aftermarket radio install on the vehicle and I also changed the servo piston in the transmission and rebuild the valve body. Car drove absolutely amazing with no problems at all for two days. On the third day no start no crank happened. Only thing different was last day of driving, I backed up on to the driveway instead of regularly driving it in. Overnight was normal weather condition no rain etc.

(I can't think of anything else).
Thank you so much in advance.

-Ed

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Does any "Shifter" Position indication on the dash show up?

Why?

When you went into reverse, and if the TCM didn't put it in park, at least by the consoles recognition of it, then the thing is not going to start because it can't tell if it's in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Then that means the TCM is not telling the system it's in PARK or NETURAL.

To Fix that means you might need a trip to the shop to fix the Console where the Shifter is at.

Try this to see if it will clear.

Press and hold Brake pedal.
Insert Key - turn it to IGNITION - not start...

Keep Foot on Brake,

Move Shifter Lever - to make sure you can pull it out of PARK and see if you can move the Lever to NEUTRAL.

Once in NEUTRAL - see if you can turn the KEY to Start.

IF this lets you start the car, then you have a bad bushing part in the Console that needs to be replaced. For the Shift Lever and the TCM need to communicate the condition of each if one side fails to respond correctly - the system will not start.

If It thinks it's in gear - it won't let the engine turn over.

Last edited: