Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Let's see those Autocrossing Foci!

Do you use the RE71r as mainly track tires or drive on them year round?
I use them strictly for autocross and track events. I read that driving them daily heat cycles them too much and can diminish the grip in the tires.

I'll probably drive on them for a few days to get all the form release oil off of them and heat cycle them a few time before my next autocross to ensure they have maximum grip on the ST. The tires I bought for the ST are a smaller diameter than stock so I do not want to run around on them too much because the speedometer will be off as well.

The last two days my wife has driven the ST to her medical school rotation (Like an unpaid internship) that is an hour away. I am really happy she enjoys driving the ST that much and that she is comfortable enough to take it on an hour long drive without any safety net if she were to get stuck somewhere like a steep incline at a stop.

Wheels temporarily installed for break-in. They're about a half inch shorter than stock and I don't want to rack up too many "Fake" miles driving around like that nor do I want to wear the tires out too quickly.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Dang those wheels look sharp lol. I'd totally daily them if it weren't for the tires.

bringler26

My First Autox in the ST on RE71R tires. Got first place in GS.

My Fastest Run:
[video=youtube;8gifdwVW9TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gifdwVW9TU[/video]

My Wife's fastest Run in the ST. She got 6th in GS and missed fifth by .045 seconds. Not bad for he third ever autox.
[video=youtube;TgC1UPdj1u4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgC1UPdj1u4[/video]

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Excellent runs, how do you like those tires?

bringler26

The tires are fantastic. It is unbelievable how much grip they are able to deliver. You can feel the car grip and lift the inside rear tire constantly. Compared to the Pirelli all seasons these tires are absolutely ridiculously sticky.

bringler26

Ordered hawk HP Plus pads today. After the last event with two driver's I had severe brake fade to the point I could put the pedal to the floor with zero lock up. I'll keep the stock pads for daily duty through winter and run the HP plus to finish the season.

If I find it not too tedious I may switch back and forth between events and have read the HP plus are quite noisy when cold.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Only you can find it not tedious to switch the pads back and forth my friend lol.

Ordered hawk HP Plus pads today. After the last event with two driver's I had severe brake fade to the point I could put the pedal to the floor with zero lock up. I'll keep the stock pads for daily duty through winter and run the HP plus to finish the season.

If I find it not too tedious I may switch back and forth between events and have read the HP plus are quite noisy when cold.

bringler26

Don't say that too soon. You're talking to someone who bought wheels and tires so he didn't have to buy and replace front springs. Hahaha!

Ran Two Events this Weekend came in 3rd Saturday out of three drivers coned away first place on my last run... 16th out of 40 in PAX overall. I let a friend drive my car in the fun runs he beat my time by about 1.5 seconds... He's going to help me train for Nats next year.

Video from Saturday [video=youtube_share;6I5VDuiPQiQ]https://youtu.be/6I5VDuiPQiQ[/video]

Sunday my camera died and I couldn't find my charger so no video from the day.

On Sunday I place 4th out 4 drivers. I couldn't get a clean run to save my life and it showed in my results. I was 11th in Pax out of 50 Drivers.

My Wife took 4th in Novice class. She missed 3rd by .002 in PAX for the Novice class! This was her 4th event and her 1st time in a very open fast paced course. She learned a lot and definitely had more potential but she was more nervous because of the higher speeds. She learned the importance of pacing and finding a rhythm for the runs.

There are two events left that I might be able to attend and I am hoping that my wife and I can go to both and practice what we've been learning at the end of the season.

Photos From Sunday Taken By a Friend:

Reviewing Setup and talking Strategy with my wife between runs.

Car loaded up at the end of the day...Too much stuff...

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Brett, how well did that Fiesta ST run?

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
It did ok. The gentleman driving it is older and still running as a novice. It also only has general all-season tires. I know well setup FiST are stupid fast and currently seem to dominate HS.
Yeah I've seen a few on youtube and they do really well.

bringler26

My last autox of the season.

My fastest run from last weekend. Good enough for first in GS, 21st in PAX out 143 drivers
[video=youtube;VKv44j1Nc7Q]https://youtu.be/VKv44j1Nc7Q[/video]

My Wife's fastest run. 5th ever autox, she got 3rd in GS and 74th overall. She's improving a lot each event and is getting better at building a tempo for her runs.
[video=youtube;XvckRDHodZM]https://youtu.be/XvckRDHodZM[/video]

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hey Brett, since you have the ST you need to sign up for Octane Academy, you'll love it. Really great runs in those vids.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I forgot about octane academy! I'll have to check it out!!
Definitely give it a try, just came back a few months ago and it was so much fun.