Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Repairing the backup camera

rruss

City
Allentown
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Focus
I have a '16 Focus Hatchback with an intermittent backup camera. I disassembled the hatch this afternoon to expose the wiring and popped the backup camera assembly out of the housing. I've proven to myself that the issue is a bad camera because when I bend the connector around I can get the camera to come on. It looks like rockauto has a replacement for $106... but I can't figure out how to get the camera itself out of the housing (pictured here). The replacement camera is a small cube with the connector on it... so this has to come out of this housing somehow. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1625618088567.png

OP
R

rruss

City
Allentown
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Focus
Thread Starter #2
Also, for anyone looking to replicate what I've done so far...

To remove the door, you pop off the outer layer of the two pull handles with a pry too and remove the 2 7mm hex screws under each handle. Then pry the panel away popping out about a dozen or so clips. Mine came off without damaging any of the clips.

To remove the camera/latch button assembly, there are 4 small clips - one on each side. You can pry the unit down a bit and depress three of the clips from the outside of the car. The final clip on the back is accessible through a hole in the metal of the door and you can press it with a pry tool and the entire assembly (pictured in my first comment) drops out as a unit. If you could get this 4th clip from outside with a bit of bent metal or something, you could remove the camera assembly without disassembling the door.

OP
R

rruss

City
Allentown
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Focus
Thread Starter #3
For completeness sake - here is what I found:

The camera was released from the housing by sliding a thin flat head screwdriver into the slots on the sides and pressing outward and then rotating the clip out and over the camera. The camera then just pops out and is easily replaced. Reverse all the steps to reassemble.

1626035022499.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W General Automotive Discussions 1