Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Stalling, acceleration by itself and High Revving

Anich

City
Mazon
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2002 Ford Focus ZX5 Automotic
Hello all,
I just picked up a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 automatic with 88,000 miles. The car has several issues (That I believe are related) but just cannot wrap my head around. For one, on coldstarts the engine will sit at 3,000 rpm for the first 45 seconds. With the A/C off, the car runs and drives great except for thr occasional time it tries to accelerate through an intersection with no input from myself, but it also seems that the A/C governs the car. When it's on, most of the time it refuses to run and will idle anywhere from 400 rpm to 2,400. When it's driving around 30 mph it tries to accelerate to 50 mph with no throttle inputs. When you turn it on sometimes it will idle fine with the ac on, sometimes it just flat out dies (at stoplights too) . At this point I'm not sure what on earth it could be but I don't want to let a nice little car like this go to waste. Here are some parts I've replaced trying to fix the issue...
IAC valve
Intake manifold gaskets
A/C compressor (unrelated)
Hopefully someone can help me understand what is going on with this crappy little engine.

Update: I let it idle while I was at work and came back to a P0340 Camshaft Circuit "A" code and it's running fine at the moment

Last edited: