Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Sync Software version 4.7

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
I replaced my sync module because it died. Everything works except voice recognition. It prompts for commands, then waits to listen, but won't respond to any commands. The microphone works, because I can place calls manually and the other end hears me fine. The replacement sync module is an earlier version then the original with software version 4.6, the original had software 4.7. I think this is the issue and I would like to upgrade.

Can someone point me to the download for version 4.7? And also the instructions for upgrading the module?

tnx

OP
C

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Thread Starter #2
Done a bit of digging and found that the Ford website still thinks I have the original module, therefore it thinks I'm up to date and don't need a software update. I tried to get someone at Ford to just send me that software image, to no avail. The software is obviously on their website because if I could make it think I have 4.6 instead of 4.7 I'd be able to download it. I'm sure there's a way around it in their back office or through the dealership, but they just won't do it. It's really maddening, I paid for that software when I bought the car, so why can't I have a copy? Dealer won't help either, they want me to bring the car in....of course.

Anyway, found a good workaround for this. I paired my android phone, then I use the voice button on the google search bar of the phone. When I say "call xyz" the phone makes a call and it goes through the car's speaker/microphone. You can also say "call voicemail" then enter your password using the buttons on your dash, you can hang up from the steering wheel too. I also setup my screen lock to trust the Bluetooth connection to SYNC so the phone stays unlocked while it's in the car.

Still, if anyone has a copy of 4.7 out there, I would still like to try upgrading.

City
Wrexham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta
Done a bit of digging and found that the Ford website still thinks I have the original module, therefore it thinks I'm up to date and don't need a software update. I tried to get someone at Ford to just send me that software image, to no avail. The software is obviously on their website because if I could make it think I have 4.6 instead of 4.7 I'd be able to download it. I'm sure there's a way around it in their back office or through the dealership, but they just won't do it. It's really maddening, I paid for that software when I bought the car, so why can't I have a copy? Dealer won't help either, they want me to bring the car in....of course.

Anyway, found a good workaround for this. I paired my android phone, then I use the voice button on the google search bar of the phone. When I say "call xyz" the phone makes a call and it goes through the car's speaker/microphone. You can also say "call voicemail" then enter your password using the buttons on your dash, you can hang up from the steering wheel too. I also setup my screen lock to trust the Bluetooth connection to SYNC so the phone stays unlocked while it's in the car.

Still, if anyone has a copy of 4.7 out there, I would still like to try upgrading.
Hi,

Did you find a solution for this? I have recently bought a 2019 Fiesta and I have the same problem. I was able to get a workaround useable via Android Auto but this morning it just dropped out and refuses to reconnect at all. I tried all the usual discon and recon and the phone can see the car but the car cant see the phone back. The dash console has effectively just become decoration now and I need to fix this.

Thanks

Adz

OP
C

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
Have you tried to reset the unit. There are three types of resets: Factory default, Master Rest and Reboot. To access these resets you have to go to the ADVANCED menu and to access that depends on the Audio Unit you have. For my 2017 Fiesta, there are 4 Audio Units available 1.AM/FM/CD, 2.AM/FM/CD/SYNC , 3.SONY AUDIO System/Touchscreen, 4.Touch Screen. You have to figure out which unit you have and then go to the manual for instructions for accessing the ADVANCED menu.

I have the AM/FM/SYNC unit. To access the reset functions on this unit you do the following:

1. Press the PHONE button
2. Press the UP/DOWN arrows until "RETURN" shows on the screen, Press OK
3. Press UP/DOWN arrows until "ADVANCED" shows up
4. Press UP/Down arrows for the reset options.
This is a bit different than what the manual says, but hey that's FORD isn't it.

If that doesn't work and the SYNC unit is not responding, you might have to replace it. It's located under the glove box, a bit awkward to get to it, but once you do check out the part number, you might be able to find a replacement on Ebay for a few bucks. Let us know how you do.

City
Wrexham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta
Have you tried to reset the unit. There are three types of resets: Factory default, Master Rest and Reboot. To access these resets you have to go to the ADVANCED menu and to access that depends on the Audio Unit you have. For my 2017 Fiesta, there are 4 Audio Units available 1.AM/FM/CD, 2.AM/FM/CD/SYNC , 3.SONY AUDIO System/Touchscreen, 4.Touch Screen. You have to figure out which unit you have and then go to the manual for instructions for accessing the ADVANCED menu.

I have the AM/FM/SYNC unit. To access the reset functions on this unit you do the following:

1. Press the PHONE button
2. Press the UP/DOWN arrows until "RETURN" shows on the screen, Press OK
3. Press UP/DOWN arrows until "ADVANCED" shows up
4. Press UP/Down arrows for the reset options.
This is a bit different than what the manual says, but hey that's FORD isn't it.

If that doesn't work and the SYNC unit is not responding, you might have to replace it. It's located under the glove box, a bit awkward to get to it, but once you do check out the part number, you might be able to find a replacement on Ebay for a few bucks. Let us know how you do.

Only me again!

So I reset everything... updated the software to the latest but I'm still getting the same issue....

When I press the 'talk' buttonon the steering wheel it doesnt actually connect with Android Auto... It tries to offer me Alexa app but no other alternatives which seems strange. I've been through the AA settings but I cant find anything there at all that might be restricting the mic or indeed causing the mic to not be recognised. I knowthe mic is working because when I say 'ok google' it activate on the display but then it shuts off the mic. This also happens if I take the Android Auto completely out the situation and just try to make a call using the Ford SYNC system as standard.... I have pulled the fuse, checked it and it seems to be fine although I have had some issue with the button completely stopping working until the fuse is pulled and its reset which makes me think the phone is causing the issue. I am going to try another phone to see if the problem is replicated.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks

Adz

OP
C

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Thread Starter #6
I haven't tried running an app through Sync. To be honest, I'm afraid to because this system is no finicky I might break something!. However since it was working at one time, and you haven't changed any settings on SYNC it sounds like either a hardware issue on the Sync system or a problem with your phone.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Have you "deleted" your phone from the system (Remember to turn off your Bluetooth - both SYNC and your Phone during this)

You'll have to delete your phone off of SYNC - power down the SYNC system - then re-establish the phone as new - then we hope it will connect.

So remember to remove your phone from SYNC, and you might want to have your Phones BT FORGET the connection it had with SYNC.

So put the two away from each other and keep your Phone from being visible to other devices.

Then turn off the car, let it set for 10 minutes - then restart the car, turn on your BT - with your Phone being first, then SYNC and let it sync - like you did when you first set it up.

IT could be a contention between the new upgraded version and the older format the original BT handshake had.

That is why you'd have to force the SYNC to "forget your phone" and your BT setting to "Forget your Sync" - then the two can try to re-establish and handshake - with the correct protocol.

City
Wrexham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta
I haven't tried running an app through Sync. To be honest, I'm afraid to because this system is no finicky I might break something!. However since it was working at one time, and you haven't changed any settings on SYNC it sounds like either a hardware issue on the Sync system or a problem with your phone.
I dont know if this is related but it's worth mentioning... when I am driving at it's going dark I get a warning message on my dash that the front view camera cant see and i need to clean the screen. I've cleaned the screen plenty but the message still comes up but ONLY as it goes dark... I know the mic and the camera are in the same unit so I wondered if there was any correlation