Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2016 Ford Focus ST review notes: Tangerine dream starting to show some age?

City
Houston
A screaming fast tangerine jelly bean

The hot hatch market is hotter than ever right now, the missing MazdaSpeed3 notwithstanding, which means that consumers win both coming and going. The Volkswagen GTI is the best, most refined example we’ve ever seen, and the Focus ST is right there next to it -- possibly in the lead by a nose. Not to mention the impressive offerings from Kia, Hyundai and Honda. For the moment, though, I think the ST is at the top of heap.

Our tester came equipped with the 402A package that includes most of the luxury items like heated seats, navigation and dual-zone climate control. More importantly, the $4,995 package adds the carbon fiber accent group, which adorns the shifter, gauges and doors with the lightweight material. Add in the machined wheels, tangerine paint and black stripe, and this ST tops out at $31,910.

Let’s dig into that for a minute. As much as we like those luxury upgrades, $5,000 is a 20 percent bump on the price for stuff that won’t help you in the power or handling department. Instead, get the 401A package, which includes some of the stuff -- dual-zone climate, HID headlights -- but adds the Recaro leather seats. The 401A will only set you back $3,000. But really you could skip both and still be happy.

You’ll be happy because this car is a hoot to drive, heated seats or not. Power from the 2.0-liter turbo-four is like a psychopathic blender and it’s fun to treat the gas pedal like an on/off button, snap it to the floor, or be on the brake pedal. There’s very little turbo lag at low rpms either.

When the traction control is off or in sport mode, it’ll spin the tires in first and second gear easily. Like that old MazdaSpeed3, you should keep your hands on the wheel. Ford did its best to eliminate torque steer with all kinds of fancy tech, but you can’t change physics. Even in third and fourth, you can feel the steering wheel trying wander when you’re planted on the gas.

Power comes on quick, and you’ll have to dial it back a little to get the best traction. This particular car was shod with winter tires, which are a little less sticky than the standard summers. Drop that lightly weighted clutch, the nose pops up about an inch and you’re off, on to second gear within a few seconds. Like a few other Ford vehicles, it has the sound pumped into the cabin, and like the throttle, it comes in like a switch, 2,749 rpm, barely any engine noise. At 2,750 rpm you get that muted growl. Of course I’d rather hear the engine and turbos in their natural state, but better this than nothing. At least for me.

Shifts and throws from the six-speed are good, but I think I like the stock shifter better than this carbon fiber piece. It seemed to stay freezing cold even after the car warmed up. Clutch weight is just about right: easy, but with enough resistance to feel like you’re doing something. Modulation is easy too, probably better than trying to manage wheelspin with the throttle. The brakes are nice and grabby, with a pedal stroke that’s only a few inches long.

The suspension is stiff, maybe not as stiff as the GTI, but stiff enough to avoid potholes. The ST uses a MacPherson gas-charged strut with reverse-L lower control arms and coil springs, which is supposed to reduce torque steer. The back gets independent setup with one upper and two lower control arms, gas-charged shocks and coil springs. Both ends get stabilizer bars.

We didn’t get this ST on the track, but it seems to stick well in high speed corners, with just a little lean. Changes of direction -- like when dodging potholes -- are also quick, with no dead spots the middle. Steering weight is perfect, and there’s a decent amount of road feel, even with the winter rubber. Slicker, summer tires would surely improve on that.

As for complaints, like we said, there’s a decent amount of torque steer, we’d skip the carbon shifter, and we’ll add that the pedal height and relation to each other is a little weird. The small brake is a few good inches above the gas, which means that heel-toe braking will take a good bit of learning. I could just hit the gas with the right edge of my foot when I was on the brake. I like the brake stroke to stop at the top of gas pedal.

The narrow seats are good for my narrow frame, and I thought that might bother some larger bodies. But after talking to a few, it didn’t seem to be an issue. What does seem to be an issue is the seat height, which is a little higher than it needs to be. That’s a typical Ford thing, but check it out before you buy, especially if you plan to wear a helmet.

Elsewhere inside, the third version of Sync seems to work well. The screen is colorful and quick to react. The speaker volume is good and, ya know, it’s a hatchback so you have some cargo volume with the seats folded down.

But so does the GTI, and the Veloster Turbo and the upcoming Civic hatch. And they’re all really, really good. So unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, it doesn’t matter which one you pick. You’ll be happy either way. For me, for now, the ST is at the top of the pyramid, maybe the next GTI will knock it off. We also have the Focus RS coming soon, but that’ll compete in a completely different segment.

Regardless, it’s a good time to be a hot-hatch buyer, and there aren’t many ways to screw it up.

-- Jake Lingeman, road test editor

OTHER VOICES:

You've got to really dip into the throttle to get the boost gauge moving on a Focus ST; when it does (and when there's grip) the car is fast as hell, but make sure you're hanging on to that thick, heated steering wheel. Build quality is fantastic, and the Focus hits all the right buttons on hot-hatch styling.

Sounds great, right? It is, and I want to love the Focus ST -- I've really tried, but for approximately the same sticker price, the new Subaru WRX just laps it on every front for me. Ford used to have Subie on interior quality and materials, but not with this latest 'Rex, and an AWD rocketship vs. torque steer and spinning front tires is no contest.

-- Andrew Stoy, digital editor

Ah, the Focus ST. Exactly as good as I remember it being…and that’s the problem, if you can call it that.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been in Ford’s hottest hatch (at least until the RS arrives) and in that time I’ve sampled the Volkswagen Golfs GTI and R, the Subaru WRX and WRX STI and the Euro-spec Honda Civic Type R. While the Focus ST remains an excellent performance bargain when assessed on its own merits (and it's oh-so-practical, too!), it's starting to feel a little dated compared to its shiny new competition.

True, the Golf R and the Subies are all-wheel drive, but the Civic Type R manages to put down 306 hp through the front wheels only without torque steer. Once you get ST’s 2.0-liter close to 3,000 rpm, things get squirrely fast -- more squirrely than I remember. But this tester was riding on winter tires and over cold, damp pavement. It was better on cold, dry pavement, but, as Jake notes, you can't change physics. At least not at this price point.

So, the season didn’t help the ST’s case. And don’t get me wrong: on the balance, the ST is a confident, netural handler and I enjoy a touch of unruliness in my hot hatches anyway. Isn’t that the point? An engine eager to spin the tires and wrest the steering wheel from your hands when the boost kicks in -- you might call that character. (I’d lose the screaming-for-a-ticket tangerine paintjob and boy-racer stripes, however. Maybe a bit too much character there.)

Don’t write the ST off, especially if you play around with the configurator to get it down closer to that $25K point. But maybe don’t drive the newer, if more expensive, performance options before you head to the Ford dealership: They might persuade you to take your money elsewhere. Or at least wait for the next-gen ST.

-- Graham Kozak, associate editor

OPTIONS: equipment group 402A including ST2, dual zone electric air temperature control, bi-xenon HID headlamps, ST3, eight-way power driver’s seat, heated front seats, ambient interior lighting, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, navigation voice activated and carbon fiber inter accent package ($4,995); tangerine scream tri-coat ($595); 18-inch machined aluminum wheels ($495); black exterior stripe ($495); 18-inch high-performance all season tires ($30)

• Base Price: $25,300
  • As Tested Price: $31,910
  • Drivetrain: 2.0-liter turbocharged DOHC I4, FWD six-speed manual
  • Output: 252 hp @ 5,500 rpm, 270 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm
  • Curb Weight: 3,223 lb
  • Fuel Economy: 22/31/25 mpg(EPA City/Hwy/Combined)
  • Pros: Grippy brakes, good pedal weight
  • Cons: Torque steer

Read more on AutoWeek.