Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Key

City
Memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Focus
Does anyone know how much a key for my focus would cost? The used dealership I got it from only had 1 key but 2 fobs. Or would it be cheaper to look at getting the mykey installed or turned on?

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
They're about $100 each which includes programming from a dealer.

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
Where are they $100? I was quoted almost $800, cut and programmed. I only got one key with mine add well.
I was wondering if the Ebay keys for $30 would actually work?

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Where are they $100? I was quoted almost $800, cut and programmed. I only got one key with mine add well.
I was wondering if the Ebay keys for $30 would actually work?
It's not that much for a new key, my dealer charged me $100 to get a new key and this was for an '05 Focus, for the FOB if you only have one will cost a bit more but still not $800.

Getting a key from ebay is hit or miss, I've read that some members before wasn't able to get it to work while others did just fine. I'd just hate to waste $30 for something that won't work.

City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES, RIP 2008 S 5speed
Lets face it there is not a lot of car jacking going on for a Focus. If the car is less than 5 years old.... sure drop the cash on a nice shinny key FOB for a hundred. If the car is over 5 years old take your one existing key fob and go to Walmart and make a dozen keys for 20$. Next open the plastic shield on the column. Zip tie the one KEY FOB key as close to the ignition switch as you can get it. This will bypass the whole KEY FOB system. Now you can use your Walmart keys... and if you ever loose your 20 Walmart keys you have a spare zip tied by your ignition switch.

Not sure about the mark 3 but the mark 2 Focus have an issue with the ignition cylinder wearing out inside the carrier causing a "no start" . You have to replace the entire carrier around the ignition switch to correct the issue...… or you can file down the ignition switch housing to allow the key to turn more at cranking.

Ford is infamous for ignition switch issues. I have two Broncos (1996 and a 1993) both have a plastic actuator rod built into the column that wears out. You can strip out the column and replace the cheesy plastic actuators or run a wire directly to the starter relay bypassing the column actuator. Both Broncos now start with a toggle switch.

The reason I drive FORDs is they are easy to work on.... and there is a ton of information on how to keep them running ( on the cheap).

What I Drive
Interesting thought there. I personally like my daughters to have a key FOB when they are walking to their cars. They both work late and I prefer they have the panic ability in an emergency (one already had to use it once - just an idiot bothering her). I did find out that the key w/FOB is not as expensive as I was told.

City
Tukwila
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 Ford Focus
!00 Dollars seems to be the going price at reputable places, even though that seems to be too high in my mind. Supposedly, it is very easy to actually program the key itself by following a certain sequence of actions. I once read what the sequence was, but I had no need of an extra key at that time, and do not remember where I saw the info. I would think you should be able to google programming sequences. Anyone trying to charge more than $100 is plainly out to rip you off for being in a helpless situation.

What I Drive
From what I have read, you need two FOBS in order to be able to program yourself. Doesn't help if you are trying to replace a lost one.