Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

New owner of a ford and my first car!

anahdk

City
Bournemouth
State
Non-US
Country
UK
What I Drive
2008 1.6 Zetec
Hello dear folks,

I am the proud new owner of a Ford Focus 2008, 1.6L, petrol. This is my very first owned car though I drove many cars before. We are getting to know each other every day. It used to be owned by a grandma during the past 12 years (not kept in a garage though). She did not drive it much, so it only has 23500 miles!!
It is like brand new but I reckon it still needs a bit of love and attention... And I need some advice. :)
I noticed like a weird vibration/sound. When I drive slow it is ok, you barely notice it but on the highway I can not drive over 60mh as the vibration gets faster and stronger too. So I think it has something to do with the tyres or wheels or could be something else related to it. You feel it in the wheel too at high speed. I am thinking it might just be the balancing to redo... Hopefully it is just that to fixed. What do you guys think?
Another concern... I am not sure the timing belt has been changed. I read online that we should change it every 10 years or 80000 miles or so...? So do you think it is necessary to replace it even though the mileage is pretty low?
Thank for having read until here :)
Ana

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
Vibration is probably a tire issue. Low miles, with old tires will result in either needing new tires or getting them balanced and rotated. As far as the timing belt, I would get it inspected, at the very least. Hopefully you checked all your fluids and brake pads as well.

City
Tukwila
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 Ford Focus
Congrats on a 2008 low mile acquisition, and welcome to allfordfocus.
I agree with Armando, tires can go bad just by aging. Last year, I had to replace the tires on a Taurus given to my wife and I from her mother in 2012. Lots of tread left, but age and some usage broke the belts internally, causing the car to wobble as I drove down the road. By your description, you might have the same situation.
As far as the timing belt, it will be better (and cheaper) to get it replaced on your schedule, soon, rather than waiting for it to break down in the middle of nowhere unexpectedly.