Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Replacing the battery 2016 Ford Focus ST is a problem

City
Orrtanna
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Focus ST
I disconnected all the air intake stuff so that I could remove the front of the battery box and access the battery. I took off the "-" cable and cleaned it. (There is a sensor that may have gotten wet while I was cleaning the cable but I'm not sure.) Then I disconnected the "+" cable from the battery and removed the battery. I put in the new battery, connected the "+" cable to the "+" post and the "-" cable (with the sensor) to the "-" post but not yet to the terminal that's located outside the battery box. I connected all the air intake stuff again, put the lid on the battery box, and tried to attach the "-" cable to the terminal that's located outside the battery box. I got sparks and after a short time I heard a noise similar to when a breaker trips in your home. The noise came from behind the engine (I think). There are still some sparks if I touch the cable to the terminal. This is not a Ford brand battery. I got it from NAPA. I did attach the cables to the proper battery posts. What's could be the problem?

Update:
I put a meter between the "+" battery post with the "+" cable connected and the ground terminal on the vehicle without the "-" cable connected and got -0.06V reading. I can't 100% vouch for my meter but it does register 12.56V when I test the new battery. I also tested for ohms between the "+" cable not connected to the battery and the vehicle ground and got 65 megohms, showing me, in essence, no short in the system, so I can't exactly explain the -0.06V from the voltage test mentioned above.

Last edited:
OP
T
City
Orrtanna
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Focus ST
Thread Starter #2
OK, I decided to just hook it all up and it all worked OK anyway.